Monday, 16 August 2010

What to do if you have a few hundred loaves of bread spare...






I’ll start as usual with the apology for the delay in updating you all-it’s amazing how time goes so fast! Last time I updated you the world cup was fully under way and we were about half way through the four week holiday clubs that we were doing for the kids of Cosmo City to give them something to do during the long holiday. The clubs were really successful and over 350 children attended over the course of the four weeks. We entertained them with games, sport and craft with different themes for each week including world cup countries, the big five and caring for the environment as well as giving them lunch every day (quite a few hundred loaves of bread and a lot of oranges were used!). After a tiring 4 weeks everyone was pleased it was over but it was really fun to help with it and as well as Oasis staff and students getting stuck in a lot of community members came and helped as well.
Personally the world cup was great as I got to see two games; Brazil V Ivory Coast and England V Slovenia (thankfully it was the good England game otherwise it may not have been worth the 24 hour round road trip!). The whole country had such a great atmosphere but it was a bit strange when it was over and all the hype dispersed after such a long period of build up it all ended quite abruptly! But, despite the mixed reaction some had to holding such an expensive event in a country where some don’t have access to basic amenities I think the general consensus among South Africans is that they’re glad the tournament happened here, and I think for the most part I agree.
Since the end of holiday club I’ve been sorting out a few different bits and pieces including arranging more of the environmental lessons for a local school and co-ordinating them with the environment team as well as preparing the resources so the lessons can continue easily once I’ve left SA.
Which leads me smoothly onto when I leave. The plan at the moment is to return to the UK at the beginning of November. I’m just working out at the moment what my next move will be exactly but I’ll let you know as soon as I know stuff for certain-it should be over the next few weeks hopefully. Will keep you posted!
Hope you’re all well.
Prayer points:
That I’ll make the most of my last few months in SA.
That everything for my return to the UK runs smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment