Thursday, 24 June 2010

That sports tournament...

Hi everyone,
Sorry as per usual for the infrequent updates. Since I last updated you all quite a lot has happened-we’ve finished the Grade 3 lessons on recycling meaning that the Grade 3’s in one school in Cosmo are now recycling paper (we hope to roll this out to the rest of the school next term). We’ve also started running holiday clubs over the 4 weeks school holiday-this is the longest and most ambitious holiday club we’ve done, having only done one or two weeks in one venue we’re now doing 4 weeks in 4 different venues! I’ve been helping organise them with a team and two of the weeks have an environmental theme whilst the other two look at different countries for each day. All this has been going on with the background of a small football tournament you may have heard about-it might have been in the press a bit... The atmosphere around the World Cup has been amazing and the whole country (and the world it seems) is really getting involved. Whilst South Africans are proud of their country being the first African country to host the world cup it’s also difficult to justify at times the amount of money spent on the tournament when so many citizens are going without basic needs. But people are pushing that to the back of their minds for the duration and will no doubt wait to ask those questions once the tournament is over and simply enjoy the huge spectacle that is the world cup! I’ve been able to go to couple of great games fortunately and the atmosphere in the stadiums is great-I’m so pleased I could say ‘I was there!’ (damn FIFA marketing slogans!).
I’ll just keep it brief for now and update you in a few weeks more on how the holiday clubs have gone but I also just wanted to tell you all about future plans. I’m really sorry that some of you may have heard things from other people and that I’ve been really bad at keeping you updated but it’s something I’ve been thinking and praying about alot and in that process I’ve been talking to people as well. Because my job is slightly different to how I thought it would be before I came out the time scale for the duration of the job has changed (meaning it finishes earlier than the original two years I had planned) I have decided to come back to England in October this year permanently when the job finishes. I’ve decided this because I feel after praying about it that whilst this time in South Africa has been amazing and I’ve learnt so much there wouldn’t be another position right for me once I’ve finished this one and my time (for the time being at least) would be better spent in England.
I’ll be in touch soon about what this means for giving (obviously you won’t still be giving to me for two years-you can if you like though!) and if you could all pray for future plans that would be great. Thank you so much for your support-if anyone has any questions please don’t hesitate to contact me.
Be in touch much sooner next time! Hope you’re all well,
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment